Tuesday 28 June 2016

Aliya in Marie Claire

Aliya Mustafina was in the Russian Marie Claire in an article featuring some Russian Olympians. She looked absolutely gorgeous (as if she could look anything less than that) and answered a few questions about Rio and fashion. Nothing terribly interesting, but still worth a read.

For a twenty-one-year-old, Aliya has achieved outstanding success. She became the Olympic Champion on the uneven bars in London in 2012 (and in addition to that, won a silver and two bronze medals) and was chosen as the Athlete of the Year in Russia. 
Who is your favorite Olympic champion?
In artistic gymnastics, my favorite is American Nastia Liukin. From Russia, I like Zhenya Kanaeva. a I appreciate her both as a person and as an athlete. 
What first comes to mind when you hear the word "Rio"?
Patience. You have to endure a lot to get to compete there. I've competed abroad, but I've almost never seen the actual cities, so the city itself doesn't bring anything to mind.  
How do Olympic Champions differ from other athletes?
They don't, just a little bit more luck, and little bit more training and concentration. 
What do you think looks "smart"?
Dress and heels. But I usually wear sneakers and jeans. 
Do you think that sportswear can be sexy?
Of course. Like the leotards we wear. It all depends on how you look at it. If it fits the body/if you have the right body (I'm not sure what is the correct translation), it looks sexy. I think that you don't have to be provocative to look sexy. A more modest outfit accentuates the figure and makes a woman look attractive. Unfortunately I can't wear everything. For example, I can't zip up some dresses.  But I dream of a wedding dress from Dior, I think it will suit me.
Please don't trust my translation, my Russian sucks. I'll put the actual Russian text at the end of this post so you can read the original.


I love how Nastia is still her favorite. Think about if she made London, Aliya would have not only had the honor of competing with her but also beating her idol on their best apparatus (because let's face it, even if Nastia had gotten her set together and made the team, she was nowhere near as good as Aliya, UB really saw amazing progress between 2008 and 2012).

I also love how she doesn't see Olympic Champions as anything special. You can train hard, but it still often comes down to luck. And strong shoulders :D I always wondered how gymnasts cope with that. Must be tricky with the dresses like she says.
-----

I don't follow rhythmic myself, but looks like they also interview Margarita Mamun.

No comments:

Post a Comment